To enhance and continue to build a varsity caliber High School Club Hockey Program in Howard County.
The Howard Conference Scholastic Hockey Association (HCSHA) is a non-profit corporation comprised of all high school ice hockey teams representing the public high schools in Howard County. All Howard County public high school teams are in the Howard Conference of the Maryland Student Hockey League (MSHL).
High school ice hockey in Maryland is well organized and enjoys widespread participation and recognition. High school hockey has existed in Howard County since the founding of the MSHL in 1988. The MSHL started with 9 varsity teams for an abbreviated 1988-89 Season. MSHL Teams that year included: Atholton, Boys Latin, Centennial, DeMatha, Glenelg (combined with Hammond students as a developmental team), Howard, Mt St Joseph, Oakland Mills, and Wilde Lake. On January 5, 1989, Maryland high school youth ice hockey became a reality when the first MSHL winter sports season game was played at the Baltimore Arena between Centennial and Oakland Mills.
High Schools: Atholton, Centennial, Glenelg, Hammond, Howard, Long Reach, Marriotts Ridge, Mt. Hebron, Oakland Mills, Reservoir, River Hill, Wilde Lake. Occasionally, some teams combine as "Co-Operative" (Co-Op) if individual schools do not have enough players to field a "Pure" regulation team.
In 2014, the Howard Conference established a Junior Varsity (JV) Co-Op Program that is made up of students of Varsity programs that do not have the ability or census to build their own respective JV program. This enables any Howard Conference Varsity program to share a talent feeder system while the same players may be dual rostered to their home school. In commemoration of the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Ft. McHenry in 1814, the team has been named the Howard Conference Buccaneers, Est. 2014.
Due to the success of the Howard Conference JV Co-Op Program, in 2015, the Howard Conference established a 2nd JV Co-Op team called the Howard Conference Ellicotts, Est. 2015, in honor of the Ellicott Family, who, beginning in 1772, made significant contributions to the area and the era. They helped create Ellicott’s Mills, one of the greatest milling and manufacturing towns in the east at that time. They built roads, bridges and a wharf in Baltimore, introduced the wagon brake and championed plaster as a fertilizer, erected iron works, a furnace, rolling mills, schools, a meeting house, shops and beautiful granite houses. In 1791, Andrew Ellicott (son of Andrew the town founder) was commissioned to survey the boundaries for the nation’s new capital, Washington, D.C.
No news currently found.