Washington Capitals Alumni Association $5,000 Scholarship for 2018
The Washington Capitals Alumni Association (WCAA) will offer scholarships in the one-time amount of $5,000.00 to one (1) student-athlete from each of the five (5) D.C. Metro area high school hockey leagues including the MSHL. Each student athlete must be a senior high school hockey player and demonstrate excellence in academics, in community service and on the ice.
Application SUBMISSION DEADLINE: February 20, 2018
Letters of Reference postmark date: March 1, 2018
Notification of awardee: prior to March 15, 2018
Recognition Ceremony at the Caps home game on March 20, 2018
To be considered for a WCAA scholarship, the student must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a college-bound high school senior currently in the CSHL, MAGHL, MAPHL, MSHL, or NVSHL
- Applicant must be applying and planning to attend college as a full-time university student in the Fall of 2018
- Applicant must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 by the end of the first grading period of their senior year
- Applicant must submit an official transcript from the high school registrar along with a copy of their SAT and/or ACT score
- Applicant must graduate from high school
- Applicant must submit an essay as outlined in the application form
- Applicant must submit two letters of recommendation from non-relatives, a least one from a current high school teacher or administrator on school letterhead
- Applicant must submit one letter from the high school athletic director or ice hockey coach verifying applicant's participation in high school hockey. This letter DOES NOT need to be on school letterhead.
- Applicant must be a resident of Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia
- Academic standing; Include Academic awards or honors you have received
- Leadership in the classroom; Include extra-curricular activities
- Leadership on the ice; Highlight any hockey or sports-related activities and achievements
- Community and volunteer service; Include school or community volunteer experience
- Personal essay
- Recommendation letters
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Scholarship awards will be applied towards the winner's' first year college tuition in the fall of 2018.
The application and more information regarding the selection process can be found here: