From the USA Hockey SafeSport Manual, page 25:
• The Member Program, team and their administrators should avoid sponsoring, coordinating, or arranging for local travel, and the parents of a minor player should be responsible for making all local travel arrangements.
• Coaches who are not also acting as a legal guardian, shall not ride in a vehicle alone with an unrelated minor Participant, absent emergency circumstances, and must have at least two minor Participants or another adult present at all times. All other Applicable Adults who are not also acting as a legal guardian, shall not ride in a vehicle alone with an unrelated minor Participant, absent emergency circumstances, and must have at least two minor Participants or another adult present at all times. An unrelated minor Participant may ride in a vehicle with an Applicable Adult (other than a coach) who is not a parent/legal guardian ONLY if agreed to in writing by the minor Participant’s parent/legal guardian in advance of each local travel.
• The restrictions on Applicable Adults riding in a car with minors shall not apply to players on the same team riding in a car together, unless the situation involves an adult age player and a minor 14 years of age or younger.
• Where an Applicable Adult is involved in an unrelated minor Participant’s local travel, efforts should be made to ensure that the adult personnel are not alone with the unrelated player, by, for example, picking up or dropping off the players in groups.
• Applicable Adults who are also a player’s parent or guardian may provide shared transportation for any player(s) if they pick up their own player first and drop off their own player last.
• It is recognized that in some limited instances an emergency will make it unavoidable for an employee, coach or volunteer to drive alone with an unrelated minor player. However, efforts should be made to minimize these occurrences and to mitigate any circumstances that could lead to allegations of abuse or misconduct. Except under emergency circumstances, an Applicable Adult shall obtain written consent from a minor’s parent/legal guardian prior to driving alone with an unrelated Minor Participant
Tag(s): League Info