There are a number of Year End Awards for which MSHL players, coaches and teams are eligible.
1. Hobey Baker High School Character Award
2. Yvon Labre Award
As everyone knows, Yvon was the heart and soul of the Washington Capitals. We truly believe that by naming this trophy in his honor, we will acknowledge an all star athlete who, like Yvon, plays the game with skill, dignity, and honor. To be considered for this honor, your candidate should display the following:
The 2017 Season's YVON LABRE AWARD was presented to Dorsey Schulz, a senior from Kent Island High School.
All letters of nomination should go into detail with regards to the above evaluation criteria. Please have your nominations by email to Joe LaCour, email@example.com, no later than 8:00 PM, Friday, February 9th. The award will be presented at the Championship games on Monday, 26 February. Help us recognize an outstanding player. Participate by getting your nomination in early!
3. Don and Iva Gensler Adult Volunteer of the Year Award
As we approach the end of the 2017-2018 season, nominations for the Gensler Award are now being accepted. Who is the superhero from your conference?
4. Ray Donohue Memorial Coach of the Year Award
5. Team Sportsmanship Award
Awarded to the team with the average lowest penalty minutes / game.
The 2018 MSHL Sportsmanship is awarded to the Mt. Hebron Vikings
6. Individual MSHL Academic Honor Roll
All student athletes with a weighted GPA of 3.5 or greater will be recognized with a certificate and pin for achieving exemplary academics while playing high school ice hockey. The Conference Registrar will coordinate the collection of data and the distribution of certificates and pins.
The MSHL calculation for weighted GPA is computed as follows:
Add the point for each grade from two quarters of completed courses. Divide by the number of courses using the following point system:
GT/AP or IB Diploma (11th & 12th) course: 5 point scale - A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E or F=0
Honors or IB MYP (9th & 10th) course: 4.5 point scale - A=4.5, B=3.5, C=2.5, D=1.5, E or F=0
General course: 4.0 point scale - A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, E or F=0
Send your Conference Registrar one spreadsheet per team that includes the following columns: Student's Name, Student's School, Student's Team, Student's weighted GPA, and Team contact's email. In addition, send a scanned pdf file of the students' report cards showing two quarters of grades. Please, no jpg files.
7. Team MSHL Academic Honor Roll
The team with the highest average weighted GPA will be recognized by the MSHL with a plaque awarded before the Championship game on 2/26/18. The winning team will be notified prior to the championship game so they can have a representative present for the award. Send your team's packet to Nancy Dann at Nrdann@comcast.net by Wednesday, 2/14/18.
The team packet must include the following:
1) Use the weighting above for individuals.
2) Use all students on the roster who have played 3 or more games (conference + non-conference).
3) For any missing report cards, the player will be assigned a 1.0 GPA.
4) Compute all individual weighted GPA's and an average weighted team GPA.
5) The Team's application should come as one packet. Include all players' report cards in a scanned file plus the weighted GPA computations in either spreadsheet or manual format. Please, no jpg files. For a sample excel spreadsheet, contact Nancy Dann.
Tag(s): League Info